This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
This post has been sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. All thoughts and opinions are our own.
Our low-carb BBQ Lit’l Smokies appetizer plate is perfect for your next holiday party! This appetizer is made in just 12 minutes from start to finish, so it’s perfect if you’re short on time or need to make up another batch!
The holidays are meant to be spent enjoying time with friends and family, and that’s why we love quick and easy appetizers. We’re all about reducing stress around the holidays, and these can do just that!
Today, we’re sharing our recipe for BBQ Lit’l Smokies made with Hillshire Farm® Lit’l Smokies® Cocktail Links. We love these because they are so versatile and slow-cooked with natural spices using quality cuts of beef! We’re able to grab all the ingredients for this easy appetizer at H-E-B in one quick trip, making the whole process stress-free!
The secret is in the sauce! While traditional BBQ sauces are loaded with sugar and sometimes even high fructose corn syrup, we make our low carb BBQ sauce without either of those!
To make the low carb BBQ sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid stevia
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
First, stir together all ingredients in a saucepan with high sides (to help avoid splattering). Bring to a boil, and then cover with a lid (but keep the lid ajar), turn the heat down to simmer and cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken as it cooks and it will thicken more as it cools.
These have always been a family favorite, especially at Friendsgiving and other holiday events! There would always be a few slow cookers going with different flavored BBQ sauces.
We think this appetizer is great by itself, but impress your guests by adding it to a party tray and adding a few of your favorite cheeses and nuts!
To make this an awesome party tray, you’ll need the following:
- 2-3 different types of cheese (hard cheeses are best for finger foods)
- 2-3 different types of nuts or you can even get a can of mixed nuts without peanuts
- Fresh Rosemary and Cranberries to make your platter look super festive!
We picked up the Hillshire Farm Lit’l Smokies because they’re made with farmhouse quality meats. Grab them at H-E-B in the prepared meat case on the back wall of the store.
The staff at H-E-B were super helpful! I was looking for an item and I couldn’t find it. They checked on online and saw that it was available in the store. They wandered around the store with me until we both found it 🙂
They also had a few other items that we picked up, including Aidells® Meatballs Teriyaki & Pineapple (we loved the unexpected flavor combinations as well as the high quality meats and ingredients) and Jimmy Dean® Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage.
With the Aidells Meatballs, they have enough flavor on their own, so just heat them up, put them on a white plate, and sprinkle with parsley. BOOM! You’re done.
While you’re at H-E-B, be sure to grab some Wright Brand Bacon and make our bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed jalapeño poppers. These are always a crowd pleaser at our holiday parties. Not sure of your closest H-E-B? Find your closest store with their store locator.
Looking for more holiday appetizers? Hop on over to Tyson and check out their holiday recipes.
If you have any friends or family that are from out of town and are staying with you, don’t forget to be great hosts and make them breakfast the next morning! We love Jimmy Dean Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage because their signature seasonings are delicious and pair nicely with fried eggs in the morning.
If you want to be a little fancier, whip up our chorizo breakfast hash and replace the chorizo with Jimmy Dean Roll Sausage. Your friends and family will be asking you to make them breakfast every morning after this meal!
BBQ Lit’l Smokies Appetizer
- 1 12-ounce pack Hillshire Farm® Lit’l Smokies® Cocktail Links
- 1/4 cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon scallion thinly sliced
- 8 oz cheese
- 4 oz mixed nuts no peanuts
- Add the sausage (with its juices) to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the liquid is evaporated and the sausages are browned, about 6 to 8 minutes—stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the BBQ sauce and cook until warm, about 1 to 2 minutes—stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle on the scallion.