If you’re wondering what to eat when you’re first starting a ketogenic diet, this FREE keto diet plan with recipes will get you started for the first 3 days.
Whether you’re new to keto, have tried it before and are jumping back on the bandwagon, or are just keto-curious, you might be wondering how to make a ketogenic meal plan. If you need a jumpstart for whatever reason, this free 3 day keto diet plan is for you!
This sample keto menu includes recipes for 3 full days of keto meals with 4 small meals per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack). The focus is on eating clean, nutrient-dense whole foods.
Most of these recipes are quick and easy to make in a matter of minutes. However, if you have a block of time on one day you can make the menu for the whole 3 days in about 2 1/2 hours and keep the meals in the fridge to eat over the next 3 days.
In This Article
- Before You Start a Keto Diet
- Tips for Starting Keto
- Free Keto Meal Plan – 3 Full Days of Sample Keto Meals with Recipes
- Printable 3 Day Keto Diet Menu
- Day 1 Keto Diet Plan
- Day 2 Keto Diet Plan
- Day 3 Keto Diet Plan
Before You Start a Keto Diet
- Take a look at our “Start Here” page. It will answer a ton of questions you have about how to start a keto diet.
- Calculate your macros; you don’t need any fancy equipment to do this, and it’s free! Our article will help you calculate how many calories you need each day, broken down into grams of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
- Get to know which foods you can eat on a keto diet. Our Beginner Keto Grocery List Guide makes it easy, and we also have a printable shopping list!
- Make a keto meal plan. If you don’t have time or just don’t want to do this yourself, we did it for you. You are going to LOVE this free keto meal plan! It saves you time and money, and includes a variety of delicious, easy-to-make, nutrient-dense meals. If you’re wondering what to eat the first week of keto, start with this diet plan for the first 3 days.
Tips for Starting Keto
- Stay hydrated. Buy a large water bottle and make it your new best friend.
- Yes, you can have coffee or tea. But when you’re following this 3 day keto diet plan, we recommend drinking your coffee or tea plain or with just a couple drops of liquid stevia. Normally we are coffee-with-cream people, but adding cream will change the macros significantly. Also, note that after 3 cups of coffee or tea per day we recommend switching to decaf.
- Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, don’t skimp on the salt. If you’re starting to get a headache, try eating a dill pickle, or drinking a cup of warm chicken bouillon (it’s like sipping a cup of chicken soup).
- When you’re craving sugar. Push through the cravings! Once you’re keto-adapted you will notice your cravings are almost non-existent. The time it takes for this to happen varies with each individual, but it can take as little as 3 weeks. Until then, when you’re craving chocolate have 1 square of Lindt 78% dark chocolate for about 56.7kcals, 4.7g fat, 1g protein, and 2g net carbs. Trust us, it’s about the flavor, and even this small amount is enough to satisfy the craving.
- If you need more calories than what this sample keto diet plan provides. Simply eat more! To make it easy, each of the following items has approximately 100kcals: 1) 25 grams (approximately 1 ounce) of cheddar cheese, 2) 15 grams (about 2 tablespoons) of pecans, 3) 70 grams (approximately 1/2 of a medium-sized) Haas avocado, or 4) 14 grams (around 1 tablespoon) of butter.
- Get moving. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, get some exercise! Even just 30 minutes of walking will have a positive impact.
Printable 3 Day Keto Diet Menu
Free Keto Meal Plan – 3 Full Days of Sample Keto Meals with Recipes
Day 1 Keto Diet Plan
Total Macros for Day 1: 1288kcals, 93.1g fat, 84.7g protein, 20.4g net carbs
Black Forest Chia Pudding
- 1 serving Black Forest Chia Pudding. Skip the cherries. On top, add 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream that’s whipped to stiff peaks. Also garnish with 5 chopped almonds and 1/2 teaspoon sugar-free shaved dark chocolate.
- Macros: 340.2kcals, 30.9g fat, 6.8g protein, 8g net carbs per serving
Turkey Bacon Roll-Ups with Ranch
- 2 ounces turkey breast rolled up with 2 slices crisped bacon and 1 ounce Swiss cheese. Serve with 2 tablespoons homemade ranch dressing and 1 dill pickle spear.
- Macros: 340.6kcals, 25.3g fat, 22.3g protein, 5.4g net carbs per serving
Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole
- 1 serving Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole.
- Macros: 460.1kcals, 25.3g fat, 48g protein, 7.6g net carbs per serving
Keto Cup of Noodles (aka Egg Drop Soup)
- Here we’re making a simplified version of our Egg Drop Soup! Add 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 cup hot water, and 1 1/4 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down slightly. Whisk 1 large egg in a small bowl, and slowly add the egg to the simmering liquid while stirring constantly. Pour the soup into a bowl or mug, and top with 1 teaspoon thinly sliced scallion. Enjoy!
- Macros: 147.5kcals, 11.7g fat, 7.6g protein, 1.9g net carbs per serving
Day 2 Keto Diet Plan
Total Macros for Day 2: 1148kcals, 89.2g fat, 67.7g protein, 17.7g net carbs
Low Carb Biscuit with Fried Egg
- 1 Low Carb Biscuit served with 1 large egg fried in 1/2 teaspoon avocado oil.
- Macros: 437.1kcals, 38.5g fat, 19.2g protein, 4.7g net carbs per serving
Smoked Salmon Spinach Salad with Ranch
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves topped with 1 thin slice red onion, 3 ounces smoked salmon, and 2 tablespoons homemade ranch dressing.
- Macros: 213.6kcals, 12.7g fat, 18.8g protein, 4.9g get carbs per serving
Buffalo Tuna Salad
- Mix together the following in a bowl: 3 ounces canned light tuna in water (drained well), 1 tablespoon mayo, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1/2 tablespoon Frank’s RedHot Sauce, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 ounce shredded white cheddar cheese, and 1 teaspoon of thinly sliced scallion. Serve with 1 large stalk celery.
- Macros: 231kcals, 11.6g fat, 26.1g protein, 5g net carbs per serving
- Mix together the following in a bowl: 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature), 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 3 drops liquid stevia. Spoon this mixture into a small cup (an espresso cup is perfect) and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sugar-free shaved dark chocolate on top.
- Macros: 266.2kcals, 26.5g fat, 3.6g protein, 4.7g net carbs per serving
Day 3 Keto Diet Plan
Total Macros for Day 3: 1330kcals, 99.7g fat, 82.4g protein, 15.9g net carbs
Buttered English Muffin
- 1 Keto English Muffin toasted and topped with 1 tablespoon salted butter.
- Macros: 381.6kcals, 32.2g fat, 13.9g protein, 5.7g net carbs per serving
Turkey Swiss Cheese Sub on Romaine with Sub Oil
- 2 large Romaine lettuce leaves topped with 2 ounces turkey breast, 2 ounces Swiss cheese, 1 thin slice red onion, and 4 cherry tomatoes. Serve with sub oil (in a small bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch black pepper, and 1 drop liquid stevia).
- Macros: 389.2kcals, 29g fat, 25.1g protein, 5.3g net carbs per serving
Jalapeno Cheddar Burger on Spinach
- Mix together 1/4 pound 90% lean ground beef, 1/2 ounce shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese, 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno, 3/4 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/16 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl. Shape the meat mixture into a patty and grill or bake until it’s cooked to your liking. Sprinkle 1/2 ounce shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese on top and let it melt. Serve the burger on top of a bed of 2 cups of baby spinach.
- Macros: 402.7kcals, 25.2g fat, 39.2g protein, 2.5g net carbs per serving
Guacamole with Bacon Dippers
- Mix together 1/2 medium-sized Haas avocado with 1 clove crushed fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Serve with 2 slices crisped bacon for dipping.
- Macros: 156.8kcals, 13.3g fat, 4.3g protein, 2.7g net carbs per serving