This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
Low Carb Keto Sweetened Condensed Milk is lusciously thick, rich, and sweet with a creamy texture and slightly buttery, vanilla flavor.
Since going keto, if you thought you had to give up your favorite desserts that call for sweetened condensed milk, we have a treat for you. Bonus, if you miss a drizzle of honey here or there (like on “noatmeal” or toasted keto bread), this recipe will become a staple in your house. You won’t believe how easy it is to make keto sweetened condensed milk at home!
How to Make Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
Altogether, the process of making homemade sweetened condensed milk takes about 20 minutes from start to finish, and it just requires cooking down heavy whipping cream, butter, and sweetener on the stovetop. You’ll know it’s done when the mixture is rich and thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. We also add in a touch of salt for balance and vanilla for subtle aroma and flavor!
How Long Sweetened Condensed Milk Stays Good For
In the Fridge
We’ve found that it’s best to store homemade sweetened condensed milk in a covered glass jar in the fridge. If stored like this, it should stay good for about two to three weeks.
In the Freezer
We’ve also had success freezing sweetened condensed milk. To do so, freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If the sweetened condensed milk separates after freezing and thawing, you can briefly reheat it on the stovetop while whisking.
What Sweetened Condensed Milk Tastes Like
Sweetened condensed milk is sweet, thick, and syrupy with a consistency similar to honey. Our recipe has a creamy, slightly buttery flavor and hint of vanilla.
What to Use Sweetened Condensed Milk For
- To sweeten coffee or tea
- To make hot chocolate
- As a spread (similar to honey) on keto bread
- As a topping for noatmeal (keto oatmeal)
- To sweeten keto treats like cheesecake mousse, fudge, pudding, custard, and ice cream
- In keto baking, to make things like cookies (such as coconut macaroons)
Low Carb Keto Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Add the cream, butter, Swerve Confectioners, stevia glycerite, and salt to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer until thickened, about 12 to 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature (it will thicken more as it cools), and then store it covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.