Dairy Products, can you have them on a keto diet? Well, that depends. It truly is something that is specific to each individual.
Some people can tolerate all dairy products, others only some and there are even those that cannot tolerate any dairy products. This may be due to food sensitivities, food allergies or a lactose intolerance.
If you want to test and see if you have a food sensitivity to some dairy products (like me), check out this post I wrote about food sensitivities.
Keto Dairy Products List
- Grass-fed Heavy Whipping Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Grass-fed Butter
- Clarified Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Whole Milk Yogurt
- Avocado oil mayonnaise
- Pasture raised eggs
- Plain Unsweetened Keifer
Dairy Product: Heavy Whipping Cream Substitutes – 1 Cup
- Coconut cream – substitute 1:1 for HWC. This can be whipped too!
- You can mix 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup almond or cashew milk with 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 3/4c + 2T half and half with 2T melted butter
Other questions commonly asked about heavy whipping cream
- What is the heavy whipping cream nutrition? Per 100g, 340kcals, 2.7g carbs, 36.1g fat, 2.8g protein.
- How many carbs in heavy whipping cream? 2.7g carbs per 100g
- How to whip heavy cream? Pour heavy whipping cream into a cold bowl. Add flavorings and sweeteners if desired. With and electric mixer whisk on high for 60-90 seconds under stiff peaks form. Hand mixing takes much longer.
Heavy Cream vs Whipping Cream
What’s the difference between heavy cream and heavy whipping cream? Not much. Just 6% milk fat differentiates the two. Heavy cream has more fat and weighs in at 36% fat, while whipping cream only contains 30% fat.
Dairy Product: Butter Substitutes
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
- Greek yogurt
Other questions commonly asked about butter
- How to make butter? From All Recipes: “Take 3/4 heavy whipping cream, pour cream into a mason jar and screw on the lid. Shake jar until butter forms a soft lump, 15 to 20 minutes. Continue to shake until buttermilk separates out of the lump and the jar contains a solid lump of butter and liquid buttermilk. Pour contents of the jar into a fine mesh strainer and strain out the buttermilk, leaving the solid butter. Remove the lump of butter and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.”
- What are the calories in butter. Per 100g. 717kcals, 0.1g carbs, 81.1g fat, 0.9g protein.
- Is butter a carb? Nah just kidding on this one hahaha. I love Mean Girls!
- Is butter a dairy product? Yep! sure is.
Ghee vs Butter
What is ghee? How to make ghee from butter?
Butter is approximated 80% fat and 20% water. Ghee is 100% fat.
Ghee is made from heating butter and allowing the liquid butter fat and milk portion of the butter to separate from the fat. The milk solids will float to the top.
If you cook it longer, the milk will caramelize and become solid. Once you remove the milk solids, the remaining oil is ghee.
Ghee is super popular in Indian Cuisines because of it’s rich nutty flavor. One of our favorite low carb Indian recipes is this butter chicken recipe. We also put together a post with our 15 favorite low carb Indian recipes.
- Ghee is more calorie dense than butter, ghee having ~120 calories per tablespoon while butter has ~105 calories.
- Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter, so it doesn’t oxidize as easily (485F vs 350F).
- Ghee is lactose-free, which is good if you have if you have dairy allergies or sensitivities.
- Ghee has a longer shelf life than butter.
- Something fun I learned while writing this post, Ghee is also know as liquid gold.
Commonly asked questions about Ghee
- How to make ghee? Here’s an awesome article from BulletProof that walks you step by step to make ghee.
- Where to buy ghee? Amazon, Publix, Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Health Food Stores
- Is ghee vegan? No.
- What is ghee nutrition? ~120kcals, 0g carbs, 0g protein, ~13g fat per 1 tablespoon
- Is ghee dairy free? It is lactose free.
Dairy Product: Clarified Butter
So another fun fact, clarified butter and ghee are not the same. Mind blown! It was only a few years ago that I found out what ghee was. Yeah, I didn’t learn what ghee was in my Master’s Nutrition Program hahaha.
Clarified butter is also know as drawn butter. Clarified butter is what is left over after the milk solids and water are removed.
What is the difference between ghee and clarified butter? Cooking time. Ghee is cooked longer than clarified butter.
An extended cooking length removes all of the moisture from the butterfat and browns the milk solids. This gives Ghee the nutty taste. Milk solids are then strained out and you’re left with liquid gold aka ghee.
Dairy Product: Cream Cheese Substitute
You’re not going to get the exact same texture as cream cheese, but a good alternative is to puree cottage cheese and then strain over night with cheese cloth. You can also try doing the same with full fat plain yogurt. You can also add butter or cream to either of the mixtures above to add in more fat.
Also, yet another new thing I learned while researching this article, Fromage Blanc. What the heck is that?
Fromage Blanc is a homemade cultured soft cheese that looks and tastes similar to cream cheese, but is not made with cream. Instead Fromage Blanc is made with either cows milk or goat milks, as well as rennet and a mesophilic culture.
Other questions commonly asked about cream cheese
- Can you freeze cream cheese? You can freeze cream cheese but it does change the texture a bit. Once it’s thawed the cream cheese is a little crumbly and not as smooth.
- How to soften cream cheese? I forget to take out cream cheese and let it come to room temperature all. the. time. To combat this and not having to wait an hour I came up with a quick fix. Take the 8oz block of cream cheese out of it’s foil and place it in a microwave safe glass bowl. Then microwave it for 15 seconds on high, making sure not to cook it too long.
- How many calories are in cream cheese? 50 calories per tablespoon
- How many carbs in cream cheese? 1.6g carbs per tablespoon
- How to make cream cheese? You’ll need cream (preferably raw), whole milk (raw if possible), a Mesophilic starter culture, salt and cheese cloth. Place cream and milk in a law glass container. Stir in Mesophilic starter culture. Loosely cover and let set out on your counter top for ~12 hours. Once it looks yogurt like, pour the mixture through the cheese cloth and into a large bowl. Let it drain for another 12 or so hours to dry out. Once it has dried out, take it out of the cheese cloth and season with salt or other seasonings if desired.
- What is cream cheese nutrition? 350kcals, 5.5g carbs, 34.4g fat, 6.2g protein per 100g
Whoa. That was one of the longest, but most informative posts that I have written in a while. Hopefully by now this will have given you a little insight onto what dairy products you can eat on a keto diet.
Let me know in the comments below if you found this post helpful or not.
Have a great week!