This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
If you’re looking for easy kid friendly keto snack ideas, this Low Carb Corn Dog Bites Recipe is sure to be hit!
Back to school is an exciting time for so many reasons, but it’s also a very busy time. Any extra help or tips that parents can get on how to feed their kids nutritious meals that even picky eaters will enjoy are most welcome. We happen to have a few tricks up our sleeves when it comes to kid friendly keto snack ideas that are healthy, quick, and easy!
School Snacks for Kids
When we were kids, after school snacks were things like a bowl of sugary cereal with milk, cookies, or for a healthier option, sweetened yogurt with fruit. Notice the trend…these things are all full of sugar! As we become more aware of how sugar impacts our children, it’s becoming more popular to choose healthy and even keto-friendly snacks for kids.
Here are a few pre-packaged kid friendly keto school snack ideas that are easy to pack:
- String cheese
- Veggie chips
- Good quality meat jerky
- Seaweed crisps (you might be surprised, your kids might love them!)
Snacks That Kids Can Make
We love cooking with kids! Here are a few easy recipe ideas that they can help with. Depending on your child’s age, you might need to slice veggies, or if they’re old enough to use a knife, make sure to supervise them.
- Celery stuffed with cream cheese or almond butter
- Raw veggies (like bell pepper, celery, broccoli) with ranch dressing
- Cucumber and cheese “sandwiches”
Is Popcorn Keto?
Because it’s such a popular snack, we wanted to talk about popcorn! We don’t like to consider any foods completely off-limits on a keto diet; rather, it’s all about fitting nutrient-dense foods into your daily meal plan. Corn is a grain, and it’s important to note that it’s relatively high in carbs. According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 1 cup of air-popped popcorn has 31kcals, 1.04g protein, .36g fat, 6.22g carbohydrates, and 1.2g fiber. That brings us to about 5g net carbs per 1 cup serving, but in reality, how satiating is 1 cup of popcorn? But if it’s important to you and it fits into your meal plan, go ahead and enjoy it.
Are Hot Dogs Keto?
In general, hot dogs are something we consider a treat and not part of our normal eating routine. This is because hot dogs are highly processed and many contain nitrates and/or nitrites and are high in sodium. That being said, sometimes you just want a great dog! On those occasions, we go for an organic, uncured all-beef hot dog (Applegate Farms is our favorite).
In terms of a ketogenic lifestyle, if you’re going to eat hot dogs, look at the macros to make sure you can fit it into your daily meal plan. You might be surprised that a lot of hot dogs are high in carbs because of additives!
Ingredients in This Low Carb Corn Dog Bites Recipe:
More Easy Healthy Low Carb and Keto Snack Recipes:
- Low Carb Keto Tortilla Chips Recipe from The Keto Queens
- 5 Minute Low Carb Mixed Berry Nice Cream (Instant Soft Serve Ice Cream with No Ice Cream Maker) from Healthy Sweet Eats
- Keto Low Carb Paleo Blueberry Muffins Recipe with Almond Flour from Wholesome Yum
- Keto Chocolate Brownie in a Mug from The Keto Queens
Join our newsletter if you want to be notified when a new recipe or blog post is live 🙂
If you found this post and you’re ready to start a keto diet, check out our 5 Day Budget Keto Meal Plan. You’ll get 5 days worth of recipes and eat for under $5 per day!
If you need a little more hand holding and want something longer term, you may be interested in our 4 week keto meal prep course. It comes with 4 weeks of keto meal plans (1200, 1500 and 1800 calorie levels), weekly keto grocery lists, 40 keto recipe ebook, how to meal prep ebook, videos and more!
Or if you’ve been doing keto for a while and just need a little help meal planning, we’ve got you covered! Get 1 week of keto meal plans for free!
If you loved this post or any of our recipes, please leave a comment below. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #theketoqueens on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @theketoqueens, Twitter, and Facebook.
Low Carb Corn Dog Bites Recipe (Kid Friendly Keto Snack)
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 4 organic uncured beef hot dogs
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray 24 wells of a mini muffin tray with avocado oil.
- Whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, water, cream, and butter in a medium bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, and let the batter rest for 3 minutes (it will thicken slightly).
- Spoon the batter into 24 mini muffin wells.
- Cut each hot dog into 6 equal pieces and place 1 in the center of each muffin well.
- Bake until the corndog bites are golden along the outside, about 20 minutes.
- Let the corndog bites cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing.