This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
Check out what’s in our shopping cart on our Keto Whole Foods Haul! You might be surprised that we don’t completely avoid the center of the store, lol.
We all know we’re supposed to mostly shop around the perimeter of the grocery store, right? Focus on real-foods like fresh produce, meat and seafood, and dairy. But when there are so many options, which are the best for keto? And what’s worth venturing into the middle of the grocery store for?
We’re about to show you!
Keto Whole Foods Haul – What’s in Our Shopping Cart?
Let’s tackle the store by section…
The Perimeter of the Grocery Store
Along the outside of the store is where you’ll find the non-processed real-food items. It’s where the fresh produce, meat and seafood, and dairy sections are located.
A few of our favorite low carb and keto friendly fruits and vegetables include:
- Fresh berries, like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
- Bell pepper
- Leafy greens, like spinach and kale
- Herbs, like parsley, cilantro, dill, rosemary, thyme, etc.
Meat and Seafood
In the meat and seafood departments on our Keto Whole Foods Haul, we look for:
- Wild caught seafood, such as salmon, tuna, and cod
- Grass fed and finished beef
- Grass fed lamb
- Free range chicken, duck, and turkey
- Uncured bacon (Faith doesn’t eat pork, but loves the Wellshire Farms Smoked Sliced Uncured Beef Bacon at Whole Foods)
Pro Tip: If you can’t find the meats you’re looking for at the grocery store, we highly recommend US Wellness Meats!
On our shopping list:
- Organic (and grass-fed if we can find it) heavy whipping cream (Because what else would we put in our coffee, lol?!)
- Full fat, plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 4% cottage cheese
- Full fat cream cheese
- Full fat sour cream
- Other cheeses we like (for example, cheddar, mozzarella, brie, etc.)
- Dried cheeses, like Parm crisps
- Organic butter and/or ghee
- Eggs (not exactly dairy since they’re not made from milk, but still found in the dairy area)
And even though it’s usually found with the dairy, it’s not dairy, but we also sometimes pick up almond milk!
Pro Tip: The ONLY ingredients your almond milk should have are almonds and water.
The Inside of the Grocery Store
Here are a few things we will happily walk down the aisles of the grocery store to find!
- Collagen peptides
- Protein powder
- Healthy fats, like avocado oil, olive oil, and coconut oil
- Nuts, like almonds, walnuts, pecans, and hazelnuts
- Nut butters
- Stevia-sweetened or 90% cacao chocolate
- Coconut milk
- Keto baking products, such as almond flour, coconut flour, etc. (To whip up the recipes in our Keto Bread cookbook!)
Pro Tip: Check out the bulk section for things like nuts and spices – you can buy as much or as little as you want!
Check out our Keto Shopping List – Beginning Keto Grocery List Guide for more inspiration. It might be taboo to mention in a post about Whole Foods (lol!), but Lara wrote a post about our Trader Joe’s Keto List – Grocery Shopping Haul if you want to take a peek!
And we made a printable keto grocery list to make shopping even easier!
What are a few of your must-have items from your Keto Whole Foods Haul? Tell us in the comments below!
If you loved this post or any of our recipes, please leave a comment below. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #theketoqueens on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @theketoqueens, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you found this post and you’re ready to start a keto diet, check out our 5 Day Budget Keto Meal Plan. You’ll get 5 days worth of recipes and eat for under $5 per day!