If you’re looking for a sausage and spinach soup recipe, you are going to LOVE this one! It’s so flavorful, creamy, and a real crowd-pleasing recipe!
I can’t tell you how many times this spinach soup has saved the day since it’s not only a quick recipe but so nourishing too! It’s our spin on a creamy sausage soup with greens and potatoes from a popular Italian restaurant and while it’s a keto diet soup, it only sacrifices the carbs and not the flavor – AT ALL!!
When we decide to have friends over last minute, this is one of our favorite low carb soup recipes to whip up! It’s a real crowd pleaser since it’s one of the most delicious creamy soup recipes. We oftentimes have friends and family that will ask us for the recipe and sometimes… they even have to ask if we have anymore low carb soups since we are just THAT good! 😉
Now – scroll down below to make your own creamy keto soup!
More about low carb soup
When it comes to keto soup recipes, homemade is always the way to go since you can make them keto yourself. If you’re going for canned, however… it can be more tricky since it varies so much. We have found the best soups to be broth and stock soups since they have nearly no carbs at all.
Now if you’re wondering about calories – that can vary as well. Generally, low carb soups will have around 100 calories per serving.
How to make keto soup
We are a family that LOVES to make homemade soups from scratch. They are so delicious, thick, hearty and very nutritious. If you’ve never made it before, however… you might be a little lost.
Generally speaking, you heat up your ingredients with some broth and cook it until it’s done. Now that’s a VERY general statement since recipes very heavily depending on the type of ingredients and if it’s a stovetop or one of the slow cooker creamy soup recipes.
For a full recipe, just scroll down below to make your very own cream keto soup.
- 2 tablespoons organic grass-fed clarified butter (ghee)
- 1 (12 oz/340 g) package of organic, fully cooked Italian-style chicken sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3½ cups (830 ml) organic chicken bone broth
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 6 cups (255 g) organic baby spinach
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh lemon wedges, to squeeze on top (optional)
- Heat the ghee in a 3-quart saucepan over medium to medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and cook until the sausage is starting to brown and the onion is softened, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add the bone broth and crushed red pepper flakes and bring up to a boil; cover the saucepan, turn the heat down to simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, stirring constantly, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream.
- Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper as desired.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges to squeeze into the soup if desired.