This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
Can you eat nuts on a keto diet? I get asked this question all the time. My answer is always the same, “it depends.” I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but let me explain.
Nuts on a Keto Diet
Most nuts are low in carbohydrates and high in fat, but some nuts are higher in protein and higher in carbohydrates and those are the ones that may want to be avoided or consumed in smaller amounts.
How many carbs are in nuts?
Carbohydrate Amounts per 1oz
- Almond Carbohydrate Amount 6.1g total, 3.5g fiber
- Walnut Carbohydrate Amount 3.9g total, 1.9g fiber
- Brazil Nut Carbohydrate Amount 3.3g total, 2.1g fiber
- Pecan Carbohydrate Amount 3.9g total, 2.7g fiber
- Macadamia Carbohydrate Amount 3.9g total, 2.4g fiber
- Hazelnut Carbohydrate Amount 4.7g total, 2.7g fiber
- Pistachio Carbohydrate Amount 7.7g total, 3g fiber
- Pine nut Carbohydrate Amount 5.5g total, 3g fiber
- Pili nuts Carbohydrate Amount 1g total, 0g fiber
- Coconuts Carbohydrate Amount 6.7g total, 4.6g fiber
- Peanut Carbohydrate Amount 4.6g total, 2.4g fiber
- Cashew Carbohydrate Amount 8.6g total, 0.9g fiber
I use cronometer to track my food intake and that’s where I got the values from above.
Benefits of Nuts on a Keto Diet
- They are high in fat (a mixture of omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6s)
- Most nuts are low in carbohydrates (pistachios and cashews are higher in net carbs)
- Nuts are great snacks (shelf stable and portable)
- Nuts contain vitamins, minerals and fiber
- Nuts can be turned into flours to make lower carb versions of your favorite foods
Some draw-backs to nuts
- Some people can’t tolerate nuts (allergies/sensitivities)
- Nuts are very calorie dense (if you’re wanting to lose weight—eat nuts in moderation)
- Nuts Contain Anti-Nutrients—have you heard of physic acid? Phytic acid may prevent mineral absorption. Sprouting, soaking and roasting nuts can make nuts easier to tolerate.
- Nuts are a great keto snack to take while traveling. Check out our other favorite low cab snack in this post.