30-Minute Keto Zucchini Beer Macaroni and Cheese
Rich and cheesy with great complexity of flavor, this low-carb zucchini macaroni and cheese is healthy comfort food!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter ghee or bacon grease
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 1/4 lbs zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup gluten-free ale or vegetable stock
- 4 oz cream cheese full fat
- 6 oz Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly-grated
- 2 pinch dried Italian seasoning for sprinkling on top (optional)
Heat the butter or bacon grease in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the zucchini, turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook until the zucchini is softened, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside for now.
To the same skillet, add the beer and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom. Turn the heat down to medium.
Whisk in the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the Cheddar a handful at a time until smooth. Stir in the Dijon, salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.
Preheat the broiler. Stir together the vegetables and cheese sauce and pour into an 8 by 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top. Broil until bubbling and browned on top. Top with a couple pinches of dried Italian herb mix, if desired.
Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.8g | Protein: 15.1g | Fat: 31.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Fiber: 1.8g