This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
Switch up your breakfast routine with this Keto Chocolate Berry Truffle Smoothie that’s thick and rich like a milkshake, and tastes like chocolate-covered raspberry truffle candy!
Smoothie recipes might seem like a fad, but there’s a few great (and very practical) reasons to incorporate them into your meal plan. They’re the perfect vessel for getting in tons of nutrition (think vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc.). Smoothies can be whipped up in just 5 minutes, so they fit into any busy lifestyle. And they’re portable and can go wherever you’re going on a busy morning!
Low Carb Keto Breakfast Ideas (Other Than Eggs!)
As much as we love eggs we all like variety, and there are so many delicious low-carb options other than just eggs for breakfast! Things like smoothies, pancakes, muffins, breakfast meat and veggie scrambles, pudding, and homemade cereal or porridge are all great options.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- The Best Noatmeal from Healthy Sweet Eats
- Low Carb Fathead Blueberry Cobbler Bars from The Keto Queens
- Keto Waffles Stuffed with Cream Cheese from Ketogasm
- Almond Joy Granola (made in an Instant Pot!) from our eBook 10 Low Carb Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Keto Vanilla Cream Bulletproof Coffee from The Keto Queens
- Low Carb Fathead Carrot Cake Sticky Buns from An Edible Mosaic
Calories and Carbs in Avocados
According to The World’s Healthiest Foods, 1 cup of chopped avocado (about 150 g) has the following nutritional information:
- 240 calories
- 21.99g fat
- 3g protein
- 12.8g carbohydrates
- 10.05g fiber
Avocados are a good source of pantothenic acid, dietary fiber, vitamin K, copper, folate, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin C. The heart-healthy fats in avocado also help our bodies absorb carotenoids from carotene-rich foods, such as carrots and leafy greens when eaten together. It’s also believed that avocado provides the following health benefits: blood sugar control, insulin regulation, satiety and weight management, and decreased overall risk of unwanted inflammation.
Adding Almonds and Other Nuts to Smoothie Recipes
We love adding nuts to smoothies to bump up the nutrition! They’re a good source of protein, and we like them post-workout or for breakfast on-the-go. Almonds are a great choice to add to smoothies, because they’re also rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron.
If almonds aren’t your thing, swap them out for your favorite nut! We’re nuts about the flavor of pecans in this smoothie (cheesy pun intended, lol).
How to Make a Super Thick Smoothie Recipe (Or a Smoothie Bowl)
To make a thick smoothie, the basic rule is to use less liquid! We find that freezing fruit before blending it also helps make a smoothie thick. This is the technique we use to make smoothie bowls!
How to Make a Smoothie Not so Thick
To make a smoothie not as thick, you can add more liquid (such as almond milk or water), or pulse in ice cubes. Be careful not to water it down too much though, because in addition to changing the consistency, it can also dilute the flavor.
How to Make a Smoothie Like a Milkshake Without Ice Cream
The classic way to make a smoothie thick and rich without using ice cream is to blend in frozen banana! To keep our smoothies low-carb, but still get milkshake-like results, we use avocado instead.
If you loved this post or any of our recipes, please leave a comment below. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #theketoqueens on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW US on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Lara & Faith
Keto Chocolate Berry Truffle Smoothie Recipe
Keto Chocolate Berry Truffle Smoothie
- 1/2 medium-sized Haas avocado
- 2 tablespoons pecans almonds are also yummy here
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1g packets stevia/erythritol blend
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries our mix includes raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries
- 3/4 cup ice cubes
- Fresh or frozen berries
- Shaved stevia-sweetened chocolate
- Add all ingredients except the ice to a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- Add the ice and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass and add toppings if desired.
- Serve immediately.