This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
The Best Keto Beef Stew Crockpot Recipe.
No time to make a home cooked meal? Think again! Our slow cooker beef stew recipe is prepped in minutes and cooks while you are at work!
This easy beef stew recipe has a classic beef stew flavor profile with rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, and vegetables. We keep it lower in carbs with rutabaga instead of potato, and use a bit of beef gelatin to thicken it (and also to bump up the nutrition!).
We love making low carb slow cooker or crockpot recipes year round! They’re definitely not just for fall and winter.
Pressure cookers are great for quick delicious dinners, but there’s something about a dish that’s been simmering all day long. It really just brings out the flavor and makes our taste buds dance!
How to Make Beef Stew Recipe In a Slow Cooker
Now you can make this easy beef stew recipe 2 different ways.
The quick and dirty way (just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it simmer all day long) or you can do a few pre-slow cooker steps on the stove top to really just make this dish pop.
To make this dish be the best beef stew recipe, we recommend doing the few extra quick steps on the stove top first.
First add the ghee to a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Once melted, add the beef cubes in a single layer and sear on both sides, about 4 minutes, turning them over once.
Next, stir in the onion and garlic and cook 1 minute, while continuing to stir.
After that, transfer the meat and garlic/onion mixture to a slow cooker along with the canned tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, celery, carrot, rutabaga, and rosemary.
Next, cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
After the cooking time has elapsed, add the beef gelatin to a small bowl and sprinkle the cold water on top. Let it sit for 2 minutes, and then mix in 1 cup of hot broth from the soup.
Then stir this mixture into the soup.
Finally, sprinkle the parsley on top and serve!
Beef Stew Ingredients
- beef chuck roast
- no-salt-added crushed tomatoes with juices
- beef broth
- bay leaf
- Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- fresh rosemary
- beef gelatin
- cold water
- fresh parsley
Beef Stew Seasoning
We use a super simple seasoning for this homemade beef stew recipe. Our beef stew seasoning consists of onion, garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, fresh rosemary and fresh parsley.
How to Thicken Beef Stew
Since this is a keto beef stew recipe we won’t be adding any starches to thicken this recipe. Instead we like to use beef gelatin to thicken the beef stew.
To thicken this low carb beef stew, add 1 tablespoon of beef gelatin to a small bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Let it sit for 2 minutes.
Next mix in 1 cup of hot broth from the soup. Stir this mixture into the soup. Boom! That’s how to thicken beef stew! This is a great trick if you’re trying to make this a paleo beef stew recipe too!
If you loved this easy beef stew slow cooker recipe, you may enjoy these other keto recipes
- Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- Keto Instant Pot Crack Chicken
- Low Carb Beef Chili Recipe (Beanless Chili)
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Low Carb Instant Pot Beef Stew
If you found this post and you’re ready to start a keto diet, check out our 5 Day Budget Keto Meal Plan. You’ll get 5 days worth of recipes and eat for under $5 per day!
If you need a little more hand holding and want something longer term, you may be interested in our 4 week keto meal prep course. It comes with 4 weeks of keto meal plans (1200, 1500 and 1800 calorie levels), weekly keto grocery lists, 40 keto recipe ebook, how to meal prep ebook, videos and more!
Or if you’ve been doing keto for a while and just need a little help meal planning, we’ve got you covered! Get 2 weeks of keto meal plans for free!
Or if you don’t have enough time to cook, we’ve partnered with Diet-To-Go to give you $40 off 1 week of keto meals! They’re super convenient to have on hand. Store them in your fridge if you plan to have them that week, or keep them in the freezer for those “just in case” times.
If you loved this post or any of our recipes, please leave a comment below. We love hearing from you! You can also tag #theketoqueens on social media. To stay up-to-date, FOLLOW US on Instagram @theketoqueens, Twitter, and Facebook.
The Best Keto Beef Stew Crockpot Recipe
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup canned no-salt-added crushed tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 1 cup cubed rutabaga
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon beef gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Add the ghee to a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Once melted, add the beef cubes in a single layer and sear on both sides, about 4 minutes, turning them over once.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and cook 1 minute, while continuing to stir.
- Transfer the meat and garlic/onion mixture to a slow cooker along with the canned tomatoes, beef broth, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, celery, carrot, rutabaga, and rosemary.
- Cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Add the beef gelatin to a small bowl and sprinkle the cold water on top. Let it sit for 2 minutes,
- and then mix in 1 cup of hot broth from the soup. Stir this mixture into the soup.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.