This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure
Try this rich and savory Creamed Cabbage recipe anytime a hearty Keto side is needed for a crowd!
This Creamed Cabbage recipe is not only super easy to prepare, it’s also incredibly delicious. Simmered in a seasoned, creamy sauce and studded with bacon, this cabbage side dish is comfort food that will leave everyone wanting seconds!
PIN IT to your SIDES Board for later!
Follow The Keto Queens on Pinterest for More Great Recipes!
Is Cabbage Keto?
- Creamed cabbage goes from stove to tabletop in less than 20 minutes, saving time and clean up!
- Creamed cabbage is an easy, affordable, and delicious addition to any potluck or buffet table!
What is Creamed Cabbage?
Simple recipes are exactly what is needed for any and all home chefs. And creamed cabbage is a go-to vegetable dish that goes with almost everything, or can even be eaten as a main dish or lunch!
CABBAGE – Cabbage should be thinly sliced for best results. Look for firm, unblemished heads, and unless you purchased organic cabbage, remove and discard the outer leaves which can protect the cabbage from pesticides. In a rush? Use a package of coleslaw mix instead!
BACON – Tasty bacon crumbles and bacon fat give this dish it’s protein rich savory flavor. Cabbage never had it so good!
GARLIC & ONION – Everything worth eating has garlic and onion in it! Combined with bacon and cream, garlic and onion lend amazing umami flavor to creamed cabbage.
HEAVY CREAM – The sauce is created with full fat heavy cream. Just reduce until thickened and enjoy!
- Creamed cabbage can be served as is or made into a casserole. Just top with shredded cheddar cheese and extra bacon crumbles and place under the broiler until cheese is browned and bubbly. Dollop with sour cream before serving.
- Add green peas, green beans, or diced bell peppers for a pop of color! Cooked & seasoned ground beef or pork can be added for extra protein.
How to Make Creamed Cabbage
Creamed cabbage is as easy to make as 1, 2, 3!
- Fry bacon until crispy and remove from pan. Sauté onion & garlic in bacon fat.
- Add cabbage & cook per recipe below.
- Pour in chicken stock and heavy cream and cook until thickened. Stir in bacon & serve.
What To Serve With Creamed Cabbage
As a side dish, creamed cabbage goes with any kind of protein! Creamed cabbage is a perfect side dish for pork chops, and hearty enough to top with some beef stew. It’s also elegant enough to complement a chicken cordon blue casserole and serve with a thick slice of homemade white bread slathered with butter. Dinner is served!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Adding a can of cream of celery soup will make a thicker sauce for creamed cabbage and add some extra flavor.
- No bacon? Use small cubes or strips of ham instead.
- Adding a pinch of nutmeg in the last step will give the creamed cabbage a more pronounced depth of flavor.
Keto Cabbage Recipes to Try
Cabbage is a Keto powerhouse and there is no shortage of ways to prepare it! Check out these delicious recipes and discover your favorites!
- Low Carb Lasagna
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
- For more inspiration, here’s a collection of Keto casserole recipes to enjoy! Keto Low Carb Casseroles.
- Dice bacon and cook it in a large skillet until browned. Once browned remove with a slotted spoon leaving the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the onion to the bacon fat and cook until tender. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage and cook 2-3 minutes or just until it starts to wilt.
- Pour in chicken stock and heavy cream and cook cabbage uncovered until it is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season with salt & pepper to taste and stir in bacon.